Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Merging of vapor. Water vapor

Our new unit focuses on weather.  We began by talking about what weather is and how we can measure to describe more accurately and of course, how weather affects our environments (bridge from last unit).  We discussed precipitation and the different types.  Of course, we are lacking in hands-on learning since Florida only gives us rain.  Lots of rain lately.  We stationed a thermometer on the porch and a rain gauge in the garden, which we visit each day and add their measurements to our calendar board.  I was planning to chart these readings but they have been too consistent to have any educational affect on a chart.  It was hot and rainy... Yep, still hot and rainy.


She was very interested about the catalyst of rain: what made it rain at a certain time and how it came out of the cloud when it did.  I thought we should address this question with an art project that you see here.  I did draw the cloud white and she corrected me.  I was informed politely that if it was to rain, the underside of the cloud would be gray.  The technicolor dots are water droplets, joining together until their weight makes them fall as rain drops. This will be her first entry into her bare book for this unit.

I haven't had must to put into her book so far this unit.  I'm thinking a story would be nice.  Not sure if I mentioned it before but she made up two stories about animal habitats which I transcribed into her keepsake book.  We both enjoyed reading her voice on paper.  Maybe she could come up with a story about a day in the snow.  Since she has never actually experienced snow, but she wants to so very badly, it will be a perfect way for us to capture her expectations of snow.


When I look at this project now, it jumps out as a symbol of our collaborative ability to find what I think is our rhythm for homeschooling.  All my fragmented ideas and scribbles seem to be finally taking shape more naturally.  I am also becoming more familiar with my resources which affords me increasing flexibility (and lower anxiety) as unplanned things occur.  Of course, this warm and fuzzy feeling pushes me ever forward in the search for best resources.  I have a long list of websites, apps and books I haven't gotten to try yet.  There are so many incredible material online but most of the cutie websites aren't too inspiring.  Lots of sifting, skimming and trying to do.  I will report back.

No comments:

Post a Comment