Monday, October 3, 2011

Don't ever do a bus tour!

We boldly took three small children to the Space Center, where we had never been before.  We arrived around 10am and had tickets to a bus tour at 11:30.  In that time before the tour began, we realized how extensive the property was and looked forward to parking the stroller for a bit and having the bus take us around.  They should have warned us!  Don't ever get on that bus with children, trust me on this!  Our poor guide was a real enthusiast but nobody caught the jokes and we were stuck on that bus for nearly three hours; no standing, no eating, no talking.  Yes!  Medieval torture.

When we finally escaped from the bus, I was headed straight to the car but my husband convinced me to try a couple more exhibits.  I am so glad that I did.  When I block out the nightmare of the bus, it was really great.  In fact, there was so many things we didn't get a chance to do, I will definitely take the children back next year.  Alexandra got to meet an astronaut, ride on a space shuttle simulator, experience many hands-on exhibits, sample two of the three IMAX theater shows (my favorite was one dedicated to the Hubble telescope!), take a break at the playground, and walk in a field full of rockets that towered over us like redwood trees.  I stopped in the gift shop on a mission to find some good materials.  They did give me a discount for being a home school parent =)  I was able to find what I call "factual storybooks":  "The Big Dipper" by Franklin M. Branley, "What's out there?" By Lynn Wilson, and "Meet the Planets" by John McGranaghan.  I think these are highly appropriate for the Kindergarden level because they convey the nuts and bolts, themes and facts using a story that she will love to hear over and over again.

I am also excited to announce that these books each use weather as a way to connect the child this ominous topics.  They can see the seasons changing and the sun moving in the sky.  I predict that connection will help this material seem relevant.   In summary, THE SPACE CENTER IS A MUST DO for whoever can get there.  I am a Floridian and I feel guilty that I haven't explored it before.

No comments:

Post a Comment